Friday, December 10, 2010

Pork roast & Acorn squash






It's been a while since I've been posted on my blog. Let me start by wishing you all a Merry Christmas.




I made a pork roast when my Good-sister Robin came to visit with her new husband, Lewis. They raved over it. So I thought I would post the recipe. I must say it was pretty good!




Picnic Pork roast


onions


thyme


garlic


celery


carrots


rosemary


apples


2 chicken bullion cubes (reduced sodium)


water


salt and pepper


2 cups water


olive oil


Slow cooker (crock pot)




I put the bullion cubes, chopped onion and garlic cloves, celery, rosemary, carrots, & water in the bottom of the crock pot and turned on high while I braised the roast. (Braising means you brown all sides in a hot skillet with oil, before you cook the meat. It can be done with any kind of meat. It locks in the juices.)


I then rubbed salt into the fat of the roast (not all over, just into the fat). I put the braised roast in the crock pot, fat side up. I put the thyme and more pepper on top of the roast and poured a little oil over it. I then quartered the apples (any kind) and stuffed them around the roast. The water should be about 1/2 up the side of the roast, if not add a touch more until it is. You want the apples to cook in the water so the juices cook into the meat.


I put the lid on and left the temperature setting on high for 2 hours, then reduced to low for 4-6 more hours, depending on how big the roast is. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is cooked through before you eat it.


When the roast is done, it should come apart easily with a fork. So delicious.




I served with mashed potatoes, corn and Acorn squash with apple raisin filling. Acorn squash is one of my favorite "go to" veggies in the fall and winter. At the grocery, almost all the cashiers ask me what it is and what do you do with it, some people in line ask too. It's funny, but the squash does look like an acorn and intimidates people. My mom made this for us all the time, it's comfort food to me. I have heard many complicated recipes for acorn squash, this one is so easy!




Acorn Squash:


Heat oven to 350 degrees

Cut the squash in two pieces and throw the seeds away.

In a baking dish, add about 1/2 inch water, then put the acorn squash in, skin side UP

Bake in oven for 1 hour (or until the squash is soft. You can check this by pushing on the skin with your finger, if it leaves a dent, it's done)

Pull the squash out, take out of dish and put (skin side down, looks like a bowl) on a serving dish. Put in a pat of butter and brown sugar to taste, carefully scrape the squash from the skin and mix well.

Leave the skin on and it will serve as a bowl, looks very pretty. (just don't eat the skin)


Apple raisin filling:


While the squash is baking:

Cut apples (any kind, I like red delicious or gala) into small pieces and put into a sauce pan with melted butter. Allow to cook a few minutes in the butter, then add some orange juice, raisins, Cinnamon, nutmeg, or even cranberries to the pan and let cook. If you need more juice, add apple juice or some water. Cook until the apples are soft.

When the acorn squash is ready (with butter and brown sugar) spoon apple raisin mixture into them and serve with your choice of veggies. Like I said, I used mashed potatoes and corn.


YUM YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment