Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What to do with left over Rotisserie chicken? Comfort Food, Chicken Pot Pie style.

When I was little, I did not like Chicken Pot pies.  I took the stand, if there is a pie crust, it needs to be filled with cherries or apples, not chicken with veggies.  I've slowly given over to accepting the chicken pot pie.  We went to Cracker Barrel to eat dinner on the night they were making chicken pot pies.  I thought I'd try one, it had been years since I ate one.  It was delicious!  I found myself craving a chicken pot pie. 
I wanted to make my own Chicken pie (as my son calls it), but wasn't sure how.  I read in a cook book, several different versions of pot pies and decided to mix them to create my own version.  My mother-in-law happened to be coming to visit the day I made my first attempt at a Chicken pot pie.  My whole family loved, including the little boy.  We ate like pigs, it was so good! 
My son and I have been sick for the last two weeks with chest colds, head colds, all over colds I guess would be the best description.  I haven't felt like cooking, who does when your under the weather?  I have been wanting chicken pot pie.  I decided that once I felt better, we were going to have one.  For the last several days, I have not been able to smell or taste anything.  Probably a good idea not to cook anything new.  My sense of smell and taste are coming back, so tonight was the night. 
I bought a lovely Rachel Ray, enameled, cast iron casserole dish, for my birthday.  I received some birthday money, and I couldn't think of a better way to spend it than on one of her pieces of cookware.  I got a Rachel Ray knife for Christmas.  It is fantastic.  I have several pieces of her cook and bake ware, I like all of them.  Tonight I decided to use my new casserole dish.  I can cook on top of the stove with it, put it in the oven, then cover with the lid and store it in the fridge for leftovers tomorrow.  Score!!

Chicken Pot Pie:

1 deep dish frozen pie crust (thawed)
2.5 cups cubed chicken
2 cups frozen veggies
1 cup celery thinly sliced

1 medium onion
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp poultry seasoning
2 tsp parsley finely chopped
1.5 tbsp butter
1.5 tbsp olive oil
salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/3 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350

In a large skillet saute the onions, celery in the butter and oil,
add salt and pepper
when onions & celery are softened, add the parsley and poultry seasoning
add the flour and brown slightly, stir a lot so it doesn't burn
slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk stirring constantly until thickened
add the frozen veggies
heat through
Pour in a casserole dish
Take the pie crust out of the pie plate, careful not to tear it
Put over the casserole dish and pinch the sides to seal. 
Cut slits in the top of the pie crust to vent

Bake in oven 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown and bubbly

I saw another version of pot pie.  Instead of putting the pie crust on, put on cut biscuit dough.  Then you'll have pot pie with biscuits.  Looked yummy too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment