Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Caprese Bread or Tomato Basil Bread


Thanksgiving is around the corner and I want to make something different this year.  I made pies for Thanksgiving up until a year or so ago; we nicknamed them "drop pies", because I managed to drop everyone of them before I got them into my Dad's house.  I'm very glad that I always had a lid on the pies, which is what saved them from being total disasters.  Of course they looked terrible, but they still tasted good.  I'm over the whole pie making thing.  What's new and different?  I am on a quest to find something that will knock my family’s socks off.  

During October I purchased a magazine called, "Taste of Home", I found so many neat and delicious recipes.  I really enjoyed the Halloween Edition.  I decided I would purchase one of the Christmas Editions.  I purchased the Edition titled, “Best Holiday Recipes 2011".  It is chalk full of delicious recipes, I am going to try several of them. 
 I found one recipe in particular that I could not wait to try.  As I posted in my last blog, I am enjoying learning to bake bread, so naturally it is a bread recipe.  The recipe I found looks beautiful and sound divine, except for one thing.  I'm allergic to one of the ingredients.  If I made this recipe I would have to modify it and how would I do so since I'm new to the whole bread making world.  I understand the yeast is tricky, there can't be too much flour or too little flour, the ingredients have to be exact and room temperature or the yeast won't rise, careful not to over-mix. What was I going to do? One word, try.  So I did try, and I'm glad that I did.  The bread is so good, the recipe made two large loaves, allowing me to share with my family, friends and the Chef at our favorite restaurant.  I had to leave Chef Ricks with one of the waitresses, who complimented me on the beauty and festive look of the bread.  A deft poke with her finger and she exclaimed how soft the bread is too, and smelled wonderfully. I hoped the bread made it to Chef Rick's office, intact.  So far, everyone has raved about the bread. So what is this fabulous recipe?  Drum roll please.....

"Tomato Spinach Bread" by Avanell Hewitt 
Featured on page 71 of the "Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes 2011"

Instead of using Spinach, which I am allergic to, I substituted Basil so the bread I made is Tomato Basil Bread, or Caprese Bread.  One of my most favorite salads in the world is the Caprese Salad.  Its taste cannot be beaten.  It is also so simple and easy to make, the flavors just go together.  Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella sprinkled with Olive oil.  Fantastic.  I was hoping this bread would be a wonderful compliment to the salad, it did not disappoint. 

This is the modified recipe:

Tomato Basil Bread or Caprese Bread

Yield: 2 loaves (10 slices each)

Bread (plain) Dough:

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 - 115 degrees)
4 teaspoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 to 3 cups bread flour

Basil Dough:

1/4 cup cold water
6 ounces of Basil paste (found in cold veggie section)
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
4 teaspoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups bread flour

Tomato Dough:

1/4 cup cold water
6 ounces of tomato paste
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
4 teaspoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups bread flour

1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water
Parchment paper

For plain dough, in a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth.  Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.

Turn on to a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover with a wet towel.  Allow to rise 2 hours.

For basil dough, in a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add butter, salt and 2 cups flour, and basil paste; beat until smooth.  Add enough remaining flour to form firm dough.

Turn on to a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover with a wet towel.  Allow to rise 2 hours.

For tomato dough, in a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add butter, salt and 2 cups flour, and tomato paste; beat until smooth.  Add enough remaining flour to form firm dough.

Turn on to a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover with a wet towel.  Allow to rise 2 hours.

Punch down each dough and divide in half; cover.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out on e portion of each dough into a 10in X 8 in rectangle.  Place a rectangle of basil dough on top of the rectangle for plain dough, and then place the rectangle for tomato dough on top of the basil dough.  You'll have 3 layer dough.  Roll into a 12in X 10in rectangle.  Roll up, jelly roll style, starting with a long side, pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.  

Place seam side down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper
Repeat with remaining dough.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

With a sharp knife, make three shallow diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf.
Beat egg white and cold water; brush over loaves.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

The original recipe:
         For the spinach dough:  same as basil dough except substitute basil for 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.  
        for all of the dough:  Instead of letting it rise for 2 hours on the counter, the original recipe calls for it to be covered and placed in the refrigerator overnight. 

This bread is delicious with spaghetti, toasted with butter and mozzarella melted on top.  There are many ways to enjoy this bread.  Share some of your ideas with me; I'd love to hear them.












  

No comments:

Post a Comment