Saturday, January 21, 2012

Classic Swiss Fondue with Kirschwasser

Classic Swiss Fondue with Kirschwasser

My sister, as I've stated before, is a wonderful cook as well as a contributor to this blog at times.   She creates many of her own recipes and re-creates many other recipes.  She is featured on  WDRB Fox News a lot during the Holiday's and various other times because of her expertise.  Click on the above link to see the segment.
I happen to enjoy going to the Melting Pot to eat, one of my  most favorite fondue is their Kirschwasser Fondue.  I never thought to ask my sister if she knew how to make that fondue. In fact, it never occurred to me to make it at home, at all.  I was pleasantly surprised when she shared this recipe on one of her segments titled, "Hosting a fondue party with Cloverfields Farm and Kitchen.  Of course I made it, of course I loved it and of course I've made it again to take to a dinner party, where everyone loved it as well.  

Classic Swiss Fondue:

Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:

1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
2 cups dry white wine, Chablis, Sauvignon Blanc, or my sisters favorite Halbtrocken Reisling
6 cups grated Swiss cheese; suggested 3 cups Jarlsberg and 3 cups of either Gruyere or Emmentaler
1-1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Kirsch
Nutmeg

Prep:

Rub garlic clove over sides and bottom of a large saucepan.  Pour in white wine and heat over medium high until small bubbles are visible (do not simmer or boil).
Meanwhile, toss cheese with cornstarch
Add handfuls of cheese to warm wine
Stir constantly to melt the cheese
When cheese is fully melted, add the next handful
Continue until all the cheese is added and melted
Never let the cheese boil
You may have to adjust the burner Temp during this process to prevent boiling

Add Kirsch to melted cheese 
Stir to incorporate
Grate a light dusting of nutmeg over the top then stir in

Pour into fondue pot
If mixture thickens, stir in a small amount of warmed wine

Serve with a variety of fresh veggies cut into bite sized pieces
Toasted French bread
Apples, grapes
Roasted beef or pork tenderloin cut into cubes


If you have any fondue left, my sister advises to pour it into a square container and place in the fridge.  The next day the cheese can be sliced and placed on bread for a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.  Try placing sliced apples with the sliced Kirsch cheese and melt.  Delicious.

Are you wondering what Kirschwasser is?  Please see the link below for an in depth definition and history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment