Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sambosay Goshti Pastry with Chickpeas and Ground Beef

Shortly after I met my husband, he introduced me to Panjshir, in Falls Church Virginia.  It's fairly close to Washington, DC.  I was a little skeptical because I'd never had it, and I was afraid it would be very spicy.  It wasn't, it was so delicious.  Not too spicy, just right. We always get the appetizer, Sambosay Goshti.  Followed by Kebab-E-Murgh for me, that's an order of chicken kebab served with saffron rice and fresh Afghan bread. My husband gets the Combined Kebab, with lamb, steak and chicken, saffron rice, and bread.  We get the Muntoo for our little boy.  It's a dumpling stuffed with ground beef and topped with seasoned yogurt and meat sauce.  Our meal is then  finished off with a cup, or two, of Cardamon tea and an order of honey drizzled Baklava.  Can't be beat, it is so comforting.  I wondered if I could replicate the recipe, my husband assured me I could.  With that bit of confidence afforded me, I decided to give it a try.  I didn't want to deep fry them, I wanted to make a baked version. Success, it's very good!

Sambosay Goshti Pastry with Chickpeas and Ground Beef

1 lb of ground beef
1 large onion
1 cup of chickpeas (dry or canned)
1 table spoon coriander seed
1 table spoon fresh parsley
salt
pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cans of large crescent rolls

Prepare the dried chickpeas as per instructions on bag

Heat oven to 350

In a large skillet with a lid
Place hamburger meat (don't break up, take off meat tray and place whole in the skillet)
Fill skillet about 1/2 way up the meat and put the lid on, let boil until the outside is brown, cut in half and allow to boil until the middle is brown
Pour the water out (the oil will go with it, so there's no need to strain or use a paper towel)
Retain some of the water, about 3 tablespoons,
Leave the ground beef in the skillet and break into small pieces
add oil and saute the onions
While the onions cook and the meat browns completely:

Place the chickpeas, coriander seeds and parsley into a food processor, process until it is like a paste.
You may have to add water to make it into a paste


Once the onions are clear, add the chickpea paste and mix well.

Open the crescent rolls and press until very thin, but not broken.  



 Then add a large spoonful of the Chickpea mixture and fold the crescent rolls around to form a pocket

 Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown.  Serve with saffron rice and saffron chicken.  Very good.  Very healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment