Monday, February 23, 2009

I'm in BIG Trouble

Hey Paw, what's for supper? Whether I'm talking to my daddy or my hand, I am in big trouble 'cause I can't think of anything. I have cornbread on the brain from testing so many recent cornbread concoctions that I have written. I can't even think about eating another wedge. Meatballs is my fallback, Hazel covered the bases on that one. Chicken rounds out the top three and she just blogged about that. So, it will have to be a Kentucky Hot Brown tonight. My husband will be so pleased, and I can take the cheese sauce and just spackle it to my bottom!

Kentucky Hot Browns
Serves: 2-4 generously and kids love the gooey cheesy sauce!

Ingredients:
Cheese Sauce (I double the sauce):
3 TB butter, melted
3 TB flour
1/4 lb velveeta, cubed (1 small box)
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

4-6 slices bread (I use a good quality white bread like an Italian loaf but sandwich bread works fine)
cooked, sliced turkey or chicken breast (buy a chunk from the deli and slice it yourself)
cooked, sliced ham (sometimes I use country ham to dress it up a bit)
8-12 cooked bacon strips
4-6 slices of tomato
Preparation:
In a saucepan or heavy skillet, whisk together melted butter and flour. Then stir in the remaining sauce ingredients. Cook until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
Toast bread.
On a large dinner plate, place two bread slices side by side. Top one with turkey and the other with ham. Cover (or in my husband's case, drown) with cheese sauce, reserving a little sauce. "X" the tops with bacon slices.
Top "X"s with a tomato slice.
Then drizzle remaining sauce over the tomatoes and bacon.
Just before serving, place plates on a baking sheet and brown the cheese under the broiler. Watch carefully, Velveeta burns quickly. If it does, the other neat trick with Velveeta is that the burned part just peels away, and you can broil again. No losers here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment