Sunday, January 15, 2012

Slow Cooked, Lemon Chicken

Last year I was given a large Crock Pot for Christmas, or slow cooker.  This year, I was given a fantastic cook book to go along with it.  It's called "Fix-It and Forget-It, Christmas Cookbook, 600 Slow Cooker Holiday Recipes."  I am really enjoying this cookbook. There is nothing better than the smell of slow cooked meals permeating the house.
My husband picked out the Lemon Chicken recipe and I modified it a bit to suit how I like to cook.  I don't like to cook things before I, well, cook them.  So if a recipe calls for braising, or browning, I usually won't.  Such is the case with this recipe.

MY NOTES:  I did not brown the chicken pieces.  I used about 7 lbs of pre-cut thighs with the skin on.  I also didn't thaw the lemonade I just put it on top of the chicken and I added lots of pepper.  I love lemon pepper chicken.   I also added the cornstarch to the slow cooker at the beginning.  I got a little ahead of myself, as I just realized I was suppose to add it at the end.  While I was typing it into this blog to be exact.  It didn't make too much of a difference.  This recipe is delicious and could even be used as a BBQ for the summer.  The chicken is so tender it falls off the bone and most of the above ingredients are found in sweet BBQ sauce. I suggest adding some "red pepper flakes" for some kick and serving with baked beans and cole slaw.  A very versatile and delicious dinner!

"Lemon Chicken
Judy Newman
St. Mary's Ontario Canada
Fix-It and Forget-It by Phyllis Pellman Good
Good Books, Intercourse, PA 17534

Makes 10-12 servings

Prep. Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-4 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 5 qt.

1/4-1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
5-6 lbs. chicken, cut into pieces
2-4 Tbsp. oil, divided
1 can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. cold water
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

  1. Combine flour and salt in a shallow bowl.  Dredge chicken pieces in it, one at a time.
  2. Place 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet.  Brown several pieces of chicken in oil at a time.  Be careful not to crowd the skillet, or the chicken will steam and not brown.  Continue until all pieces are browned on both sides, adding more oil as necessary.
  3. As you finish browning pieces of chicken, place them in slow cooker.
  4. In a mixing bowl, whisk together lemonade concentrate, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar.  Pour over chicken 
  5. Cover.  Cook on High 3-4 hours.
  6. Remove chicken, place on platter, cover with foil and keep warm.
  7. In a small bowl blend cold water into cornstarch.
  8. Stir into juices in slow cooker until well blended. Cover and continue cooking juices several minutes, until thickened and bubbly.
  9. Spoon some of thickened juice over chicken to serve.
  10. Place remaining juices in serving bowl and pass as topping for chicken and cooked rice....."







No comments:

Post a Comment