Friday, April 27, 2012

Easy Pancakes from Scratch with Molasses and Blueberries

Easy Pancakes from Scratch with Molasses and Blueberries

I love pancakes, but I don't like using a mix.  The boxed pancake mixes are so full of sodium, preservatives, calories and lots of other additives.  I've been using a recipe I found several years ago, to make homemade pancakes.  The recipe is so easy, and delicious.  I've modified it a bit to suit our tastes.  My son loves these pancakes, he wants peanut butter on his instead of syrup.  Peanut butter is good for him since it's full of protein, so I don't mind putting it on his pancakes in place of syrup.  Where we have trouble, are the days, he wants to add syrup to his peanut butter pancake.  Um, no.  That's too close to a candy bar for me to allow as a breakfast meal.  It's either, syrup or peanut butter, not both.  We use pure maple syrup, or molasses instead of those processed syrups full of artificial colors and flavors.
Our favorite pancakes are blueberry pancakes.  Fresh blueberries are so expensive and not always available during the winter.  I have found an easy, as well as, less expensive alternative.  Frozen blueberries.  The only ingredient in the frozen blueberries are.....blueberries.  I buy a big bag of frozen blueberries, which lasts me for months.  After I mix the batter, I add the frozen blueberries to it and then put on the griddle.  They thaw and heat through while the pancake cooks.  I've had too many experiences with super hot, or "molten" blueberries, when fresh ones were used.  Too hot, not nice in a morning breakfast meal.  Frozen ones work very well, try it, you'll see! 
Easy Pancakes from Scratch:
1 Egg, beaten
2 tablespoons Canola Oil
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self rising flour
3/4 cup 2% milk 
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg
Then add the 2 tablespoons oil
(To keep the molasses from sticking to the measuring spoon, put the oil in first, then measure the molasses in the same spoon.  The oil keeps the molasses from sticking to the spoon.)  
Add the molasses, (I usually add a little bit more than 1 tablespoon because I like the flavor so much.)
Whisk together, then add the flour
Add the milk (feel free to add more or less depending on how thick you like your pancake batter)
Mix well, then add the frozen blueberries


Pour onto a griddle heated to 350 degrees
When bubbles start to form on top an the edges have drawn up a little, flip the pancakes.  
As a treat, add some dark chocolate chips to the batter with the blueberries, it's really good!
Any kind of frozen berries works, I've used mixed berries, raspberries, and strawberries.  




No comments:

Post a Comment