Monday, March 26, 2012

Rice Krispie Treats for Spring using Coconut Oil:

Coconut Oil Rice Cereal Treats for Spring:

I have been using Coconut oil for a lot of things these days.  It has been shown to help Alzheimer's patients by slowing, even reversing some of their symptoms.  It is being touted as a miracle food.  In the South Pacific & Caribbean, the coconut tree is called the "Tree of Life", this link will also provide you with a large list of the benefits of the Coconut.  On the t.v. show, "The Doctors", it is named as something that will help rid women of unwanted belly fat, along with Dark Chocolate, Olives, Avocados and Almonds.

Since discovering this information, I have been finding many ways to use coconut oil.   When I fry an egg, I put a pat of olive oil butter, and some coconut oil.  On my sandwiches, I smear on coconut oil before the olive oil mayo.  I put some in my oatmeal, veggies, spaghetti anything that requires a little bit of butter or that the coconut oil will melt in. My husband and I were discussing the Coconut Oil praise, and he made a comment that he would just lose his mind since he's not been using the Coconut oil.  I laughed and said, "That's what you think!".  Yes, I put it in his food and our sons food as well!  They have no idea, and it's good for them.   As with anything, too much is not good, so always use in moderation. Too much coconut oil can have a laxative affect, so be aware of that.

In fact, my husbands Aunt Deby is the caretaker for her mother, who has Alzheimer's.  She has been using the coconut oil with Grandma, and has told me of several improvements she has noticed.  She also told me that the stress factor in their house has diminished since the use of coconut oil started.  Grandma can now follow simple instructions, she can dress herself without confusion, she understands which garments she is asked to put on.  At a pancake house, Deby said that Grandma could not get the paper holder off the silverware without destroying the napkin.  Last time they went, Grandma had no problem removing the paper from around the napkin covered silverware.  Not only that, she had the napkin laid out, in its proper place.  Isn't that  wonderful?!  Am I going to use Coconut Oil? You bet 'cha!

I use the refined Coconut oil because there is no coconut taste.  My guys do not like coconut flavor.  I like it, but think that the use of the Coconut Oil that tastes like coconut will be diminished.  I don't want Coconut eggs.  Make sure you get the NON-Hydrogenated oil.  I have found the Organic Coconut Oil and a brand called LouAna (shown in the Alzheimer's video referenced above) at my local grocery.  My Mom didn't realize it could be found in the local grocery, and spent a lot of money at a Natural Food Store.  I found mine in the baking goods aisle, with the shortening and Olive Oil.

My husband loves Rice Krispie treats, but doesn't like the batches I've made, until now.  He and my son finished the entire lot in no time flat.  When I told him I used Coconut Oil, he couldn't believe it.  This recipe is a keeper!

Rice Krispie Treats for Spring using Coconut Oil: 
Follow the recipe on the Rice Krispie box, shown below, but substitute the butter for coconut oil 

Grease the 13 x9 x 3 pan with a little coconut oil

3 Tablespoons Coconut oil
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispie's Cereal

Blue food coloring
Green and Yellow M&M's
Decorative Gel
Flower shaped candies

Melt Coconut oil in a large saucepan
Add the marshmallows and stir until melted and combined
Drop in a couple drops of blue food coloring
Add Puffy rice cereal and combine
Pour into prepared pan and press lightly

Use green M&M's as the grass, yellow for the sun
Decorate with candy flowers and decorative gel for a spring time treat


No comments:

Post a Comment