Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hot dogs and homemade coleslaw

Hey Paw! What's for supper?

Hot dogs with chili and homemade coleslaw. YUMMMMYYYYY!


I haven't blogged in a couple of days, been really busy. Like everyone I suppose. I was out for 3 days in a row and the house looked like an elephant had come through, eating and throwing everything in sight. So I've been trying to catch up. The little one has hit his, GRAB everything in sight and ignore the word "no", stage. You know, he looks at me with those innocent eyes and does exactly what he's not suppose to do. The last couple of days, he's figured out how to remove the safety plugs from the electrical outlets. He brings them to me and says, uh oh! I tell him no, and try to explain it's not safe to touch outlets. I then go put the plugs back in, and he waits until I've moved on to something else, then I hear, Uh Oh. There he stands with the plugs. I took them from him and told him, he's being bad and again "explain". He promptly turned around and went straight to the outlet and tried to stick one finger in each hole! I had to raise my voice and get sharp with him. So far, it's worked. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I should just talk to the refrigerator, I might get a better response than from the little one. He's definately hitting the "terrible two's". After dinner last night, I'm in the kitchen cleaning up. I look over to the kitchen table and there he is, in the middle of the table! He climbed into the chair and up onto the table. Oh dear, I'm in big trouble with him. He's a climber!


NOTE TO MOMS:


When you load the dishwasher, make sure to put all sharp objects facing down, toward the bottom of the dishwasher. I personally can't imagine anyone who doesn't do this, but apparantly there are people who put sharp pointy objects facing upwards. It will save you from getting stuck by your knives or forks when you reach in to empty the dishwasher. Most importantly it will save your little one from getting cut or hurt. My neighbor told me a little girl was killed in NC when she ran into the kitchen and fell into the dishwasher her Mom was unloading and was stabbed by a knife facing up.


I was reading in a magazine about Pediatric ER doctors. The article was about the top 10 things Pediatric ER doctors wanted parents to know. The first one they wanted parents to know is: cut grapes and hotdogs into small bite size pieces before giving them to your child. They said that one of the worst things they have to do is tell a parent their child has suffocated to death on a piece of hotdog or a grape. Anything that is round and can get stuck in their throat should be cut into bite size pieces: cherry's, cherry tomatoes, hot dogs, grapes, or gum drops, to name a few. Gumballs should be avoided until the child is older and able to chew really, really well. You should cut the gumball into half, if possible, or avoid it all together along with jaw breakers!

Back to the blog:

Let's get to the supper menu. I didn't know what to fix, and hot dogs sounded really easy. I have never fed my little guy hot dogs. He did have a few bites of my corn dog in Disney World, and loved it. I remembered what I had read about hot dogs being such a choking hazard, so was a little timid about it. Then I had an idea, pop into my head, cut the hot dog in half length wise. Then cut that half, in half again, lengthwise. So instead of one hot dog wienie, I now have 4 pieces. I would then, put two on a piece of bread, add some chili, then wrap the bread around and press it closed. It sounded good to me, so that's what I did. I also thought to cut the wrapped up hot dog into 4 bite size pieces he could pick up with his little fingers. Eureka!

What about the cole slaw? The last time I attempted cole slaw, it was so bad, it went directly into the trash can. Do not pass go, do not collect $100, just go straight to jail, errrr, trash! Well, the food network always has tons of ideas, so I went to their website. I found a recipe that was quick and easy, so I took it. It's by Robert Irvine, from his show, Dinner Impossible. I love that show, anyway, this was a hit. I only added one small sprinkling of something to give it a little more zing, since I didn't have the "white wine vinegar." You'll see in the recipe notes, what I did. It was very good! Let's get to the recipes!

Hot Dogs:

Ummmm, you need hot dogs, buns and chili. heat on stove and there you are!

Cole Slaw:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dinner-impossible/cole-slaw-recipe/index.html


6 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper
Directions
In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. In a smaller bowl, make dressing by combining mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, sugar, salt and pepper. Toss dressing into cabbage mixture and let chill. Serve in a family style bowl.

I didn't have the white wine vinegar or celery seed, so I used apple cider vinegar, and thinly chopped celery. It was good, but lacked a little punch, I thought maybe the two missing ingredients would have added. So, I sprinkled, just a very little bit, of garlic powder in and that did it. This will be my "go to" cole slaw from now on, it's YUMMMMYYYY!

My guys loved it, and gobbled it all up! I have to say, I thought it was pretty tasty myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment