Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Baked Nutmeg Beer Chicken with gravy

Lewis & Robin 10-10-10
What is it about weddings and babies that just put a perpetual grin on our faces? I love weddings, especially the mints. Yum. My husband and I eloped, but we still wanted to include our family in our special day.  So, we didn't exchange rings when we eloped.  We had a "Ring Ceremony", where we officially exchanged rings. Talk about really confusing my husband, as to what day we celebrate our marriage! I was going to say both, but thought maybe that was a trifle greedy. So we celebrate the day we actually got married.   My Mother-in-Law hosted the Ceremony at her house.  I got to wear a beautiful wedding dress and gorgeous shoes.  It was a lovely day, the decorations were wonderful, the cake was divine and the wedding mints....gone in no time flat!  My Dad and Mother-in-Law each wrote up something to say in honor of our marriage and the exchanging of rings.  The weather was perfect, not too hot, no wind, no noise, nothing but peace.  That changed, one second, after we exchanged our wedding bands, and kissed.  A breeze blew, bringing the wind chimes alive. The tinkling of the chimes was like little bells from heaven celebrating our happy union.  It was so fantastic and could not have been a better beginning of celebration.

My Good sister Robin got married in October, to a wonderful man, Lewis.  They got married in Jamaica.  We weren't able to attend, but the video showed a fabulous celebration of happiness and love!  They came for a visit before Thanksgiving.  We had a very nice conversation about food, and cooking.  He gave me his recipe for chicken marinated in beer.  He told me that his Dad loves it, and it's easy to make.  OK, I'm sold.  What's the recipe?  Easy is right.  I added my own touches, but I don't think Lewis will mind.

Baked Nutmeg Beer Chicken:

Large can of beer (I used Fosters, it is a HUGE can)
1 package chicken thighs
1 package chicken drumsticks (or what ever chicken you want to use)
Flavored Sea Salt
Pepper
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp Poultry Seasoning
1 large onion cut into pieces
4 Celery stalks, cut into pieces

Layer the onion, celery and chicken in a baking dish
Season each layer with the salt, pepper, nutmeg and poultry seasoning
Pour in the beer.  Do not dump over chicken as this will take the seasoning off, gently pour in from the sides until covered. 
Cover and marinated for 1/2 hour or longer for more flavor, in the fridge

Bake for one hour in a 350 oven, until juices run clear

Gravy:

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
liquid from the baked chicken
2 tsp poultry seasoning
salt and pepper

Add the butter to a skillet and melt, then add the flour and lightly brown
Add salt and pepper, and then one spoonful at a time add the liquid until you get the consistency you want.  Then add the poultry seasoning and stir. 

Spoon over chicken, or if you made rice or pasta, spoon over that. It's very good

We ate leftover sweet potatoes and Cranberry/blueberry sauce.  My little boy gobbled the chicken up.  No need to worry about "getting drunk", because the cooking process cooks out all the alcohol.  Just leaving a delicious flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment