Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The best Chocolate Chip Cookies made with Lentils

Ok.  Yes I said it! Lentils!  Yes, these cookies are made with Lentils. I was watching the Cooking Channel, years ago, and saw a woman making these cookies.  They looked so good.  I didn't get around to trying them until this year.  A friend of mine is opening her new Pastry shop, called Luv Berry, and she asked if I could help her find a chocolate chip cookie recipe that doesn't use white flour or white sugar.  I immediately searched for this recipe.
I modified, as I always do. Since I have a trace wheat allergy, just to whole wheat, I used regular organic flour. I joke, sort of, that I can eat white bread because it use to be wheat, but has been processed so much that it doesn't affect my allergies.  I also left out several ingredients because I don't like nuts or seeds in my cookies.  
Here is my version of the recipe from Bal Arneson via the Cooking Channel website, a link to Bal's original recipe can be found at the bottom of the recipe.
Quick note:  Let the Lentil's cool before adding the butter, I didn't and all the butter melted and I had butter and lentil soup.  I ended up having to add more flour.  It was a near disaster. 

Healthy Chocolate Chip Lentil Cookies (modified version)

1 Cup dry Lentils
2 Sticks unsalted butter
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Egg
1 Cup Organic Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup regular dried Oats
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Sweetened dried Cranberries 

Cook Lentils in boiling water for 35 minutes.  Strain and smash with a fork.  LET COOL.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or grease cookie sheet)

In a bowl, cream together the cooled lentils, butter, and brown sugar 

Add the egg and blend well

Add the baking soda, flour and vanilla extract and blend

Stir in the chocolate chips, raisins and cranberries

Drop the cookies and flatten on the cookie sheet, by the spoonful

Bake for 13 to 18 minutes 

Remove from oven and place on a baking rack to cool 

Now, try to stop yourself from eating them all.  I dare you!  

For the original recipe go to: http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bals-lentil-cookies.html


No comments:

Post a Comment